We Choose Welcome Initiative
Next Steps in UPC’s Refugees Support Efforts
Our congregation continues to discern the call to support refugees in our community. A task force has organized the following ways to be a part of UPC’s continuing We Choose Welcome initiative:
- Refugee Support Team: You may sign up for UPC’s Refugee Support Team—a list of volunteers to perform discreet jobs on an as-needed basis (e.g., providing transportation to a doctor’s appointment). The team will support the activities of Refugee Community Partnership (RCP), a local refugee support organization (refugeecommunitypartnership.org). Click here to sign up online.
- Sunday School: This Sunday, August 27, we will offer the second of two Sunday School classes on refugee issues:
- Sunday, August 27: Maddie Hayes, Director of Refugee Community Partnership, will introduce the Bridge Builders program.
- Bridge Builders Training: On September 30, RCP will conduct a Bridge Builders training and orientation session at UPC for those who are interested in participating in the program. Through Bridge Builders, two-to-four families/individuals from UPC will be partnered with a local refugee family—with the expectation of developing a long-term relationship.
- A Service of Hospitality will be held in October. All are invited to join the effort.
Learn more at www.upcch.org/welcome. Contact Reid Chisholm at (919) 260-0992 with any questions or interest in sharing your talent and time.