The University Presbyterian Youth Choir is open to all youth in the sixth through the twelfth grades. No auditions are required! The Youth Choir rehearses every Sunday afternoon from 5 – 6pm in Vance Barron Hall from September to May and leads the music in worship at both the 8:30am and 11:00am worship services about twice a month. In February the Youth Choir presents a musical in a dinner theatre format. Productions have included Godspell, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Children of Eden, Cotton Patch Gospel, Narnia and Miss Persia. In May the UPC Youth Choir joins with other area Youth Choirs to present a Benefit Concert whose proceeds support a local nonprofit that the Youth Choirs chose. In June the Youth Choir is invited to attend a week long conference focusing on Worship & Music at Montreat College. The Conference offers a variety of opportunities for musical and spiritual growth, worship, fun and fellowship and performance.
Register for Montreat Worship and Music
Registration Rates for youth and children
$265 Early Bird Registration Deadline: January 4
$280 Regular Registration Deadline: April 14
$250 Final payment Deadline: May 5
Registration Rate for chaperones
Sacraments and Seasons is this summer’s focus at Montreat Worship & Music Conference. As the church celebrates a new edition of the Book of Common Worship, our theme at the conference this summer is timely. We will be focusing on the church’s sacraments and the seasons we celebrate in the Christian year in worship, songs, and seminars. In addition to the opportunity to sing in outstanding choirs the usual array of interesting courses are available: drumming, art, organ, instrumental ensembles, handbells, vocal techniques, composers’ forum, photography, and more.
UPC’s own, Margaret LaMotte Torrence, will serve as this summer’s Liturgist. CHHS Choral Director and Chapel in the Pines Music Director, Jeremy Nabors, will be the Senior High Choral Director. Adding to the festivities from Chapel Hill the Youth Choirs from United Church of Chapel Hill, University United Methodist Church and Binkley Baptist Church plan to be at the conference this summer the same week we will be there!
Rehearsals are every Sunday afternoon from 5 -6pm.
- October 1 at 11am worship – World Communion Sunday
- October 8 at 8:30am worship
- November 5 at 11:00am worship- Daylight Savings Ends
from 1:45 – 3:45pm- Rehearsal and Auditions for
2018 Youth Choir Musical- February 1,2,3, 2018 (PYC will meet from 12-1:45pm)
- Monday, November 6 – Audition call backs from 7 – 8:30pm
- November 19 at 8:30am worship
- December 3 at 11:00am worship – 1st Sunday of Advent
- December 17 at 8:30am and 11:00am – Christmas Lessons and Carols
- 5pm- Christmas Caroling with PYC
- December 24 at 7:00pm worship – Christmas Eve
- January 1: 3:00 – 6:00pm- First Musical rehearsal and Technical Workday in Fellowship Hall
- February 1, 2 and 3 – Youth Choir Musical Production
- No rehearsal on Sunday afternoon February 4
- March 17 YC rehearsal for Youth Sunday 9:00 – 10:00am in Sanctuary
- March 18 at 8:30am and 11am worship Youth Sunday
- No afternoon Youth Choir rehearsal
- April 22 at 11:00am worship- 4th Sunday of Easter
- May 6 at 11:00am worship- Confirmation Sunday
- 4:45 – 8 pm Youth Choir Benefit Concert at Binkley Baptist Church
- June 3 at 9:45am Montreat Family Meeting in Fellowship Hall
- June 17 – 23, 2017 – Montreat Worship & Music Conference