Join Us for Sunday Morning Worship Services - 8:30am and 11:00am

Visitor Info

Local Outreach

“Love your neighbor….”

 

Contact:       Bart Phillips (theonebart@gmail.com)
UPC has a long tradition of extensive outreach to our local neighbors.  Just take a look at this list and see how vital and diverse our support really is!  If you are interested in a particular program listed below, contact the person coordinating that particular program. If you want to become a member of the Local Outreach Committee, adding your voice and vision to the group, contact Bart Phillips (above).

Inter-Faith Council (contact www.ifcweb.org).  Shipley Jenkins is UPC’s liaison with the Inter-Faith Council.   “The Inter-Faith Council for Social Service meets basic needs and helps individuals and families achieve their goals. We provide shelter, food, direct services, advocacy and information to people in need. We accomplish this through strong partnerships with volunteers, staff and those we serve. We rely on the active involvement of caring individuals, congregations and other community organizations.”  ~ taken from the IFC Website’s Mission Statement.


Habitat for Humanity (Contacts: Brian Curran). Ground breaking on the Phoenix Place subdivision began in February, 2012. UPC is assisting in building a home at 112 Phoenix Drive; this will be the third Habitat community to be built in the area. As we build this home in Orange County, Habitat also contributes the average cost of a Habitat home somewhere overseas. Therefore, we are really helping two families attain affordable housing each time we engage in this partnership. Phoenix Place is a subdivision off Rogers Road in Chapel Hill.
Come watch us grow our community by visiting the actual site, or look for pictures and updates on the Habitat for Humanity’s Bulletin Board in the Christian Education building.   Click here for more information.


CROP StopCROP Walk: Did you know you can support local and international efforts to end hunger? It’s simple. Support the local CROP Walk. Money raised goes to the Inter-Faith Council and Church World Service to fight hunger, support disaster relief, aid refugees and build sustainable development throughout the world. Become a walker – or make a new friend and support a walker with your donation. Family and friends of all ages, please feel welcome.

The 2015 CROP Walk was April 19.
During the past quarter century over $1 million has been raised by the Chapel Hill/Carrboro CROP Hunger Walk to support hunger relief efforts. The walk consistently ranks in the top 50 of the more than 1600 walks nationwide based on funds raised.
How does it work?
Anyone who wants to contribute their time can walk. We annually form a University Presbyterian Church “group” that works together for a common goal. Participants can walk as part of a group or as individuals. Walkers invite others to sponsor them with donations prior to the walk. The donations can be given directly to a walker or made online through Church World Service.
Who Benefits?
The CROP Walk is an annual fundraiser held in our area to benefit Church World Service and the Inter-Faith Council in their efforts to fight hunger globally and locally. Church World Service distributes 75 percent of the money raised in CROP Walks to hunger relief programs, refugee assistance, disaster relief and self-help projects in more than 80 countries. The remaining 25 percent stays in Carrboro and Chapel Hill to support the IFC’s Food Pantry and Community Kitchen.
What can I do?
Register to walk, ask friends and family to sponsor you, and enjoy a fun afternoon participating in the festive atmosphere of the Crop Walk.
If you prefer not to walk, or are out of town during the event, you can still participate in Spirit! Register as a “walker in spirit” and invite your friends and family to support the Crop Walk.
Support the Crop Walk and the UPC team by sponsoring one of our walkers.
Need more information? Call Becky Gollmar at (919) 932-7656 or email beckygollmar@gmail.com.
Make your donation online through Church World Service.