Submit Nominations for the Deacon and Elder Classes of 2025
The 2022 Nominating Committee is seeking your input in its discernment process. The congregation is invited to nominate members of University Presbyterian Church for the office of Elder and Deacon. The committee will consider prayerfully all candidates submitted by the congregation as they prepare a slate for the next three year term (2023-2025). Read about the gifts desired for each office below and click the link to submit nominations.
Qualities of a Deacon:
“The office of deacon as set forth in Scripture is one of compassion, witness, and service after the example of Jesus Christ. Persons of spiritual character, honest repute, of exemplary lives, brotherly and sisterly love, sincere compassion, and sound judgment should be chosen for this office.” (Book of Order G-6.0401)
Duties of a Deacon:
Deacons strive to provide care and connection to the members of the congregation. Each deacon will be asked to:
- Maintain regular contact with the members of his/her neighborhood: checking in with members a few times a year; welcoming new members assigned to the neighborhood; working with church staff to offer particular care to the aging, grieving, and sick; and praying for the neighborhood.
- Serve on one of the Board of Deacons care teams, offering time and energy to ministries to older adults, home communions, visitation, flowers and cards, meal train, or memorial receptions.
- Regularly attend monthly meetings of the Board of Deacons.
- Attend new officer training, be examined by Session, and be ordained/installed in worship.
Excellent candidates will be:
- Actively involved at University Presbyterian Church, attending worship regularly
- Compassionate persons, willing to initiate contact with others and able to maintain confidentiality.
- Filled with a desire to serve God in this place
The Nominating Committee will seek to nominate a slate of candidates that will effectively represent the rich diversity within this congregation.
Who may be suggested as a candidate?
All members are eligible for nomination.
Who may recommend a candidate?
Any member of UPC may recommend candidates.
Do I need permission from the candidate before I submit his or her name?
No, the Nominating Committee will verify candidates’ willingness to serve before they are nominated. (You need prior permission only if you choose to make a nomination from the floor during a congregational meeting.)
May I submit my own name?